Sunday, March 2, 2008

A new month

This is Al again. It is Sunday morning and I just finished my walk. If you have been following this blog you know I have been fighting this dreaded cold. I am 90% better. But Lori now is coming down with a cold. But my wife will pack in the vitamins, positive thoughts, and her laid back attitude and fight it off (plus she never complains; so who knows how she feels?).

This has been a tough couple of weeks for us. We have had a number of policyholders and friends pass away. Plus, we have friends who are fighting terrible diseases and issues. But we continue to believe in a God who knows all and is without doubt. He knows the beginning and the end and makes no mistakes. Though we grieve for a little while on this side, we will rejoice at His great wisdom and mercy on the other side.

I continue to work with men who struggle with life. In my journey I am learning skills that has brought me a peace that is beyond my understanding. So as Step 12 suggests I "pass it on" as part of my journey. It is so rewarding to see men find real answers to their addictions and worries. As I pray daily that we would be "living one day at a time. Enjoying one moment at a time. Accepting hardship as the pathway to peace. Taking, as He did, this sinful as it is, and not as I would have it". Living like this allows me to face reality each day, instead of living in an insane world. Here are some other areas I think and pray about most days:

"When I leave things in my head, little things get big, and big things get little". This encourages me to talk about my problems and issues (mostly with Lori or in my men's group).

"I listen to respond. I should listen to understand". I heard a 72 year old man in one of my groups say this. I had been praying for years that God would help me be a better listener. I like to hear myself talk way too much. So, I have been working on this. Though I will never be good at this, I have improved greatly.

"It is not about changing my circumstances. It is about changing me". Those of us who are addicted to our self-centeredness love to blame either our situation or another person for our struggles. We tend to run away from our circumstances, or try to control others involved in our circumstances, in order to not speak the truth that we are hurting, or scared, or angry, or sad. So when I am feeling those types of emotions, this statement reminds me to look inside first. With God's help I can take responsibility for me and let Him change me.

Anyway, I have a few dozen of these statements that I carry in my pocket as I walk most days.

So, how do you deal with your life? I would love to hear your comments. You know, "I am listening to understand" these days.

1 comments:

Glory Laine said...

A bottle of wiskey and a hot bath.
Kidding.
I think I try to remind myself that this life, this earth, is not our real home. This always puts everything in perspective.

Glad your feeling better. Sounds like it was touch and go for a while.