Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Habitat for Humanity Trickery

The Recruiting Poster. Ha!

The families that will get a brand new house. They put in 500 hours of sweat equity.

The Gracia's new home.


This week, Habitat for Humanity is building 2 houses here in Salem. I was recruited to help in the hospitality tent...right up my alley. Of course I said yes to a 4 hour shift serving coffee and pizza, checking construction guys in & out and doing general hostessing duties. However, in reality, when you show up at a work site for Habitat, YOU WORK! My co-"hostess" and I pushed wheelbarrows around cleaning up after crazy messy construction workers. At first it wasn't too bad, just picking up papercups, empty boxes, and empty caulking tubes. We got the place looking extremely good. Then we found where the left over siding was thrown and our ordeal began. Did you know that siding is mage od concrete and that it's very heavy? Yikes! Being the psycho cleaner that I am (so was my partner) we worked to get every piece of siding picked up and thrown in the dumpster. Needless to say, I'm pooped! But it's a good pooped. Two dear families will have lovely homes and I had a tiny part in helping. If you ever get a chance to volunteer with Habitat, do it. They are amazing!

0 comments: