Sunday, April 20, 2008

Springtime in Oregon



Several years ago I started my Christmas letter with these words; I'm sitting by the fire watching it snow... Today is April 20th and I'm sitting by the fire watching it snow. An Arctic Express blew in Friday night and promises to hang aroun till tomorrw afternoon. Until this morning the snow wasn't sticking but as you can see, it's adding up. Unless you've lived through an Oregon Spring this might seem odd. But for those of us who've been here awhile, this is business as usual.

For some time now, Al has been contemplating walking the Portland Marathon in October. Last night he took the leap and signed up. He has been walking regularly for a long time so our friends and veterans of the race, Nancy & Curt Kendall, encouraged him to go for it. The Portland race is a big deal and loads of fun for racers and spectators. The city rolls out it's famous hospitality and party mindset so it should be a blast. We will spend the night before the race in Portland so we won't have to fight traffic and parking issues that day. I will go down for the start of the race and then begin my own marathon at Macy's and Nordstroms. I'll check the race route every so often to clap & cheer but I don't think I'll wait the entire 6+ hours it will take him to finish. Maybe he can call me when he's nearly done and I'll head to the finish line to take some pictures. Everyone wins when you spend the day doing what you love.

Tomorrow night I'm having my Hearts @ Home group over for dinner and I haven't decided what I'm serving yet. It's going to have to be something I can prep today because I work tomorrow. This is our last social get together before Hearts ends for the year. We do stuff in the summer but it's much more casual. I'll try to remember to take pictures for the blog.

I'm also working on redecorating the church nursery. The chairs I ordered are in so next step is paint. I don't know when that's going to happen so I've got time to recruit some helpers. Then I need to shop for lamps and art. I love it!

Dad and his lady friend Jeanne are keeping BUSY! They go to concerts and dances and dinners and anything else that sounds fun. She even came to the family dinner on Thursday. Everyone was on their best behavior so she was eased in to the chaos that usually erupts at our dinners. She has no idea of how loud it can get when JJ, Corban & AJ start talking tech, when Al and our friend Don start talking insurance, and the rest of us try to talk about interesting things...all at the same time. We were definately off our game Thursday and therefore Jeanne had a really good time. She may even come back. Fortunately, I think she can probably hold her own (if she can get a word in) once she feels comfortable with us. She's a very nice gal and Dad's quite taken with her.

I'm going to get out my recipe box and start planning my meal for tomorrow. I'll update soon I promise.


0 comments: