Thursday, September 11, 2008

On Fire! Literally & Figuratively.

I probably won't be invited to join the Master Canners Club anytime soon
The humble winners forced the loosers to take our picture. Hee Hee!

On Wednesday, I began my yearly adventure of canning applesauce. I had 120 pounds of juicy & delicious gravenstiens waiting to become yummy sauce. It's more than an all day event but once I get my systems down I can keep things rollin' along. In order to have a place to put the processed jars as they come out of the canner, I put a towel on the counter (the jars have been in boiling water for 20 minutes so they are HOT!). After several hours, my stove top that had all four burners going, started to make a funny beeping noise. Out of curiosity and annoyance, I walked away from the food mill to see what was about to become a 2 alarm fire. My towel looked like the kind of grass fire you see along the side of the road. I quickly filled a pan with cold water and drenched the life out of the sucker. Disaster was averted and and I continued on with my happy chore.

That evening, Jana, JJ, Al & I played in our 2nd Bocce Ball league game. Last week we were killed, loosing all three games and scoring only six total points. Undaunted, we showed up for another night of humiliation and punishment. However...the bocce gods were smiling on us and we won 2 out of three games! We still aren't sure how or why we won but win we did. Yahoo!

0 comments: